The department of Higher Education Punjab has administrative and financial control of the multi-tier Higher Education sector in the Punjab. It manages 517 colleges with general as well as specific programs in 37 districts of the province. It also supervises 09 Boards of Intermediate and Secondary Education, 17 Public Sector Universities and 26 Autonomous Educational Professional Institutions of Higher Education, Commerce Colleges.
The mandate of HED as identified in the Rules of Business 1974 is as follows:
- College Education General. (Post-Matric to Post Graduate Level)
- Universities and University Education excluding Agricultural University, Faisalabad.
- Co-ordination of schemes for higher studies abroad.
- Grant of scholarships
- Promotion of scientific research.
- Organization of all Public Libraries including Municipal and other Libraries and to keep liaison with Universities, Colleges and Special Libraries for improving the standard of research and scholarship and further development of library science.
- Ancient manuscripts and historical records.
- Promotion of Sports.
- Service matters except those entrusted to Services General Administration & Information Department.
- Purchase of stores and capital goods for the Department.
- Improvement of scientific, technological and professional education.