What HED Does
Higher Education Department, (HED) is responsible for education, learning and related services for students, as well as Faculty/ teaching & non-teaching staff, serving in Public and Private Institutions in the province of Punjab. Its aim is to achieve a highly educated society; where educational opportunities are equally available for all young people in Pakistan, no matter what their social, ethnic, and cultural background or family circumstances are.
To promote development of an enlightened and prospering Punjab by reinforcing knowledge economy along with a focus on equitable and quality learning. The realization of the higher education department’s vision of “enlightened and prospering Punjab by reinforcing knowledge economy” rests on the shift from access to quality which is evident from the key initiatives it has taken in recent past.
Improving quality of teaching, research and innovation, enhancing creativity and entrepreneurship and promoting equity, access, social cohesion and responsible citizenship.
- Establish Knowledge Park Lahore (KPL)
- Establish Bio Park/Science Research Park at Provincial Metropolis
- Organize International Education Expo
- College Inspections
- CTI-College teacher Initiative
- Revise and Reform the Educational Curriculum as E-text
- Faculty Development Programme
- Celebration of Anti-Corruption Week
- Celebration of Tax day
- Reduce Bureaucratic Monopoly and Improve Accountability
- Train and Develop the Professionals/ Faculty who work with students.
- Improve Quality Assurance Services (QAS) for college students
- Make HED as citizen centric Organization
- Assure prompt Capacity Building/ Provision of Missing Facilities in institutions.
Who We Are
We are a Ministerial Department with a strong network of field offices to ensure compliance of Executive decisions. Currently HED operates through a network of one field headquarter, i.e., Directorate of Public Instructions Colleges Punjab, 09 Divisional Directorates, 37 District Directorates managing more than 750 colleges in Punjab.
Moreover, nine Boards of Intermediate and Secondary Education (BISE) for examination purposes, each at divisional headquarters are, working under the umbrella of HED. In addition to that more than 50 Public/ Private Sector Universities and 26 autonomous institutions are also operating under the supervision of HED.