Higher Education Department (HED) is responsible for education, learning and related services for students, as well as faculty/teaching and non-teaching staff, serving in public and private institutions in the province of Punjab. Its aim is to achieve a highly educated society where educational opportunities are equally available for all young people in Pakistan, no matter what their social, ethnic, and cultural background or family circumstances are.
HED is a Ministerial Department with a strong network of field offices to ensure compliance of executive decisions. Currently, HED operates through a network of one field headquarter, i.e., Directorate of Public Instructions Colleges Punjab, 09 Divisional Directorates, 37 District Directorates managing more than 750 colleges in Punjab.
Moreover, nine Boards of Intermediate and Secondary Education (BISE) for examination purposes, each at divisional headquarters are, working under the umbrella of HED. In addition to that, more than 50 public/private sector universities and 26 autonomous institutions are also operating under the supervision of HED.
Higher Education Department’s vision is to promote development of an enlightened and prospering Punjab by reinforcing knowledge economy along with a focus on equitable and quality learning. The realization of this vision of “enlightened and prospering Punjab by reinforcing knowledge economy” rests on the shift from access to quality that is evident from the key initiatives taken by the department in the recent past.
Our mission is improving quality of teaching, research and innovation, enhancing creativity and entrepreneurship, and promoting equity, access, social cohesion and responsible citizenship.
The department is working with enhanced focus for the following:
- Establishment of Knowledge Park Lahore (KPL)
- Establishment of Bio Park/Science Research Park at provincial metropolis
- Organizing International Education Expo
- College inspections
- College Teaching Interns (CTI) initiative
- Revise and reform the educational curriculum as e-Text
- Faculty Development Program
- Celebration of Anti-Corruption Week
- Celebration of Tax Day
- Reducing bureaucratic monopoly and improving accountability
- Training and development of the professionals/faculty who work with students
- Improving Quality Assurance Services (QAS) for college students
- Making HED as citizen centric organization
- Assuring prompt capacity building/provision of missing facilities in institutions